Reach new heights as a leader. Develop new strengths in your team. Build a school that defies expectations for all students. At DCPS, you’ll get the tools, talent and flexibility you need to help teachers and students succeed together.
A VISIONARY DISTRICT THAT PUTS STUDENTS FIRST. We’re building a district where everyone is deeply committed to getting things done for students. We’ve got big goals for our schools, and know that great school leaders are key to our success.
COMPREHENSIVE TOOLS AND SUPPORT. DCPS helps principals do their best work. Tools like the Leadership Framework and IMPACT evaluation system outline a vision for excellence and set clear standards for success. And development opportunities – including individual support from experienced instructional superintendents and a Georgetown Executive Master’s in Leadership program – ensure that principals grow as much as their teachers.
THE FLEXIBILITY THAT REAL LEADERSHIP REQUIRES. In too many districts, principals find that their hands are tied when it comes to important decisions, particularly about who’s in their building. Not here. We’re giving principals the flexibility they need to build strong teams, hold high standards for everyone, and focus on what matters most: giving every student in their care a great education.
THE RECOGNITION YOU DESERVE FOR RISING TO THE CHALLENGE. DCPS offers extremely competitive principal salaries, including up to $25,000 in annual performance bonuses beginning with the 2012-13 school year. We also honor exceptional school leaders with a Standing Ovation awards gala at the Kennedy Center.
School by school, great leaders are achieving great results and overcoming a legacy of low expectations for high-poverty students. Join us and help lead the charge. Learn more on the main DCPS website.
"I know that I am morally obligated to provide children with a high quality education. The decisions that I make will have an impact on students, teachers, and the community I service for an eternity."
– Tenia Pritchard, Principal of Whittier Education Campus
Principal candidates will follow the steps below. Learn more about princial salary and eligibility and certification in DCPS.
1. ONLINE APPLICATION. Upload a resume, answer three essay questions (1.5 hours).
2. PHONE INTERVIEW. Interview with the DCPS school leader selection team (45 minutes).
3. IN-PERSON INTERVIEW. Meet with representatives from the Office of Human Capital, the Office of the Chief Academic Officer and/or DCPS instructional superintendents and principals (2 hours). Complete a reference check.
4. CHANCELLOR'S INTERVIEW. Participate in a one-on-one interview with Chancellor Kaya Henderson (20 minutes).
5. COMMUNITY PANEL INTERVIEWS. Meet with a panel including school community members, parents, faculty, staff and students of schools with principal vacancies. The panels make a hiring recommendation to the Chancellor.
Please not that the assistant principal application will launch early March. To indicate your interest, please complete this form.
To learn more about the "Mary Jane Patterson Fellowship," DCPS’s aspiring principal program, please click here.